Tuesday 19 November 2013

My budday gift :)

So, I received a letter this morning from a certain ‘Mr Jaiswal’ who stays in Vasant Kunj. He is old, very old, dons a black cap that blankets his grey hair. His eyes wear a deserted look and he had many questions to ask when I first bumped into him at my book’s launch event. Amidst the frenzy, he stay put beside me, refused to budge until he had noted down my address and date of birth. I wondered why, yet didn’t question his intent owing to paucity of time and other engagements at that point.

Five months later, on the eve of my ‘Happy Budday’, I receive the first card from 81 year old Mr Jaiswal. A little girl pointing towards a shooting star in the night sky graces the front side of the card. I am no ‘little girl’ and this didn’t look like a ‘Happy budday’ card either but the gesture was very thoughtful, indeed. Enclosed with the card was a hand written three page letter.

He stays alone in a three bedroom flat on the ground floor of a housing society. His wife moved on three years ago. The three sons are settled abroad. He is a grandfather too but is living with no false hopes of seeing them grow or dropping them to school or playing with them against the backdrop of the setting sun. 

He is lonely and has no qualms about explicitly mentioning the same in his letter.
Four lines at the start of this letter are dedicated to praising my debut work. But the remaining words reflect his desolate saga of coping with loneliness. Most of his friends have joined his wife. His choice of words’ suggest that his family doesn’t care much. Yes, he has the money but those of us who are earning know about the kind of happiness money brings along.

I must have touched his life in that brief encounter that lasted not more than five minutes… or may be, he wanted to do something with his time and the task of encouraging a young author appealed to him. In any case, I have decided to send him a letter too.. a hand written letter..


If you have a neighbour who is ageing and lonely, do say ‘Hi’ to him the next time you see him gazing at you from his balcony. Also, remember to smile…. 

2 comments:

  1. How touching!!
    It is really sad to see so many elderly people staying all alone with false hopes of living with their grandchildren someday.
    Humanity, somehow a globe full of humans has forgotten its true meaning.

    You are truly lucky to have found a reader in a 81 year old man.

    Nice post
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for going through my post. Yes Harshita, I echo your sentiment.. Elderly citizens must be treasured by the society. On the contrary, they are abandoned, lonely and bearing the brunt of sharp vicissitudes of fortune !

    ReplyDelete