Tuesday 18 December 2012

The Real Survivor !


I am back at work now after a gap of three months. Life has changed. It will never be the same. What happened on that fateful night did not just bruise my body, but shattered my soul and crushed my spirit. Waking up each morning is a struggle now. When I look at myself in the mirror, I cant relate to the person I see..

Yesterday, my friends took me out for dinner. But I don’t like dinners, I don’t like going out in the dark. I was with a friend on that day, yet it happened. Why did it happen ? My mother did ask me to postpone my plan as there were guests coming over that day. But I insisted. Why did I not listen to her ? Why was it so important to watch a movie ?

Everybody says I am coping well. But, I can see my mother crying in quiet corners of the house. My father dosent come home until late at night. He cant break down in front of me, after all. My brother no longer quarrels with me for the remote control.

… and my pillow is wet every night as the horrifying memories play in my mind as if in a loop.. May be, it was a dream.. may be, it never happened.. I had read about it in papers but how could this happen to me ?

May no innocent woman suffer this destiny. This is my prayer to the Almighty every day. I still believe in him as He chose to keep me alive. My friends tell me that I need to pick myself up and look forward.. I am a fighter and I am certain that I will emerge victorious. Every cloud has a silver lining and a bright future awaits me…. I need to have faith, no matter how difficult..

-A 23 year old rape victim

1 comment: